Job Opportunity! PEDALS Early Childhood Classroom Coach
Seeking Consultant to Serve as PEDALS Early Childhood Classroom Coach
Interviews will take place June 14, 2018
The Positive Emotional Development and Learning Skills (PEDALS) program seeks a qualified professional with early childhood classroom teaching experience to serve as a coach in the Syracuse area.
PEDALS supports effective training, implementation, and sustainability of evidence-based curricula in early childhood settings that results in measurable improvement in the social and emotional well-being of preschool-age children impacted by poverty.
PEDALS provides participating early childhood programs with:
• Second Step kits (an evidence-based social emotional curriculum)
• A validated screening tool for social emotional development
• Training in the use of the curriculum and screening tool
• In-classroom coaching by early childhood coaches for teachers and staff
• PEDALS implementation, improvement, and sustainability coaching for administrators
• Funding to purchase materials that foster social emotional growth
For more information about PEDALS, visit: https://hfwcny.org/program/pedals/
• Provide coaching to teachers and classroom staff on site at participating early childhood programs, including classroom observation and feedback, modeling of instruction, general consultation regarding effective application of social emotional curriculum, classroom management, use of the screening/assessment tool, and technical assistance on data collection and entry as needed
• Work regularly with participating program directors and administration to provide technical assistance in the implementation of PEDALS
• Serve as a main point of contact for the PEDALS program with administration and classroom teachers, including communicating PEDALS expectations
• Complete classroom observation forms monthly and submit electronically
• Participate in regular PEDALS staff meetings (approximately monthly, in person and/or by phone)
• Assist in planning PEDALS training events and attend training events. Develop, prepare, and facilitate PEDALS and Second Step trainings
• Assist early childhood programs with sustainability activities (e.g., training a staff member to provide Second Step trainings on his or her own at the conclusion of PEDALS)
• Assist PEDALS project director with ongoing program development
• Attend coach trainings
• Participate in PEDALS program evaluation
The Health Foundation for Western and Central New York is an independent private foundation that sparks lasting change in health and health care across western and central New York, with a special focus on young children, vulnerable older adults and the systems serving them. For more information, visit www.hfwcny.org.
Terms of Employment
PEDALS coaches are independent contractors. The consulting rate will be $50 -$55 per hour, commensurate with experience.
The contract term will be July 2018 through July 2020. Coaches must be available for meetings and trainings in Buffalo and Syracuse NY the months of July and August 2018 (trainings will be compensated). A coach training will take place in Buffalo NY the week of July 23rd 2018.
Contract hours will range between 25 and 125 per month and will vary based on project needs. There is some flexibility in the number of classrooms that each coach will work with, therefore some flexibility in the number of hours worked by the coach.
• A demonstrated commitment to improving the quality of early childhood education and the social emotional development of young children
• Bachelor’s degree required (Bachelor’s degree in early childhood, or elementary education with early childhood minor/annotation preferred)
• At least three years of experience teaching in an early childhood setting (ages 3-5 years)
• At least one year of experience in a supervisory, coaching, and/or mentoring role in an early childhood setting
• Experience with screening and/or assessment tools in an early childhood setting
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team
• Flexibility – ability to adapt to the needs of individual teachers, classrooms, and programs. This includes flexibility in availability, communication methods, and approach
• Excellent time management skills, including ability to develop and maintain a scheduling process for in classroomcoaching
• Ability to communicate effectively with teachers, program directors, and PEDALS manager
• Proven ability to assist with learning and capacity building
• Basic computer skills (ability to access and utilize online tools related to the curriculum and screening tool, online data entry)
• Knowledge of resources available in the Syracuse community for early childhood programs and for children with social, emotional, or behavioral needs and their families
• A valid driver’s license and reliable transportation is a must, as the coach will be traveling to and between early childhood programs
To apply, email a cover letter and current resume to PEDALS@hfwcny.org by June 4, 2018.
Applications will be acknowledged by a return email within five business days of receipt. HFWCNY is an equal opportunity employer